Thursday, August 13, 2009

PPH

I used to think that PPH stands for "post-partum haemorrhage"; meaning excessive bleeding after child birth. Hence should have nothing to do with me...especially after I finished my OBGYN posting...18 years ago!

Well, on 6th August this year, I underwent PPH: Procedure for Prolapse and Haemorrhoid, in Lam Wah Ee Hospital, Penang. It is also called "stapled haemorrhoidopexy" or something to that effect. In English:- I went to a general surgeon (Dato Dr Yip Kok Thye), he used a 2 grands stapler (haemorrhoid circular stapler) and stapled my donkey.I am supposed to be able to go back the next day.

The procedure was performed under spinal anaesthesia: the anaesthetist pricked my back, injected Marcaine and knocked out my donkey. I was awake through out. The procedure took about 20 minutes (my feeling, I didn't have stop watch), then I was wheeled to the ward and CRIB (Complete Rest In Bed) for 12 hours. CRIB means I was not supposed to go to toilet and should do everything on my bed.

This prohibition was proven to be redundant, as hours later, I found that I couldn't pee! If you are into medical term: we call it "urinary retention". I was on iv drip and I was drinking water, so my bladder was ballooned up quite fast and threatening to burst. Reluctantly, I pressed the bell and agreed to be catheterized. Again, in English, it means a male nurse will come in, put in a tube to drain out the urine. I was catheterized twice on that evening, and once the next day! And the spinal was wearing off and my donkey was hurting!

The next morning, Dato Yip asked me whether I wanted to go back. I replied that I couldn't pee. So I stayed. And was referred to a urologist. Afternoon, I managed to squeeze out about 100cc after my bladder was filled to the brim. I was rejoiced! After that, I squeezed out about 100c every 15 minutes or so. I felt like having a premature BPH (benigh prostatic hypertrophy). Just before I was wheeled down to see the urologist, I managed to squeeze out 250cc, so happy :-)

The urologist prescribed Hytrin 1mg bd, which worked like wonder (or maybe I was improving anyway). That night, just before I went to sleep, I managed to void my bladder. Phew, what a relief!

Next morning, Dato Yip wanted to send me back home again. But I said, "no shit!" Yes, I haven't passed out anything solid or liquid from my donkey after the procedure, just some gas. So I was given the ultimate purger: Fleet Phospho Soda. I guessed the pain must had been as bad as child birth! Eventually, around 4pm, I "delivered"!

Well,the "post-partum haemorrhage" was minimal, not much bleeding. Dato Yip is a good surgeon. I believed the surgery was well-performed. I am sure that it is not preposterous, for me to look forwards to a speedy recovery (V-shaped or W-shaped) from bottom in foreseeable future.



(Don't watch if you want to have good appetite)

A brief explanation of haemorrhoid surgery


What happened to me about one week ago...

1 comment:

. said...

Dr, you have the day.